Work on one of the most ambitious segment of Maha Metro project – which involves construction of Flyover and Metro route over existing the existing road and railway line at Kamptee Road – has been started by Maha Metro. The structure one of its own kind, will create four layer transportation mechanism at Gaddigodam, Kamptee Road.Central Railway (CR) recently gave permission to start work over Railway Land at Gaddigodam. Piling work has accordingly been started. The proposed double decker structure crosses Railway Line at Gaddigodam near Gurudwara on Kamptee Road. This is a most complicated and difficult project work to be carried out ever, especially over the ever busy Railway line and the narrow road at Gaddigodam Railway-under-Bridge (RuB).
The structure at Gaddigodam crossing has facility of 4 tier transportation arrangement. The first level is surface road level below the existing (RuB) carrying road traffic, second level is Railway Track. After the construction work is over, the third and fourth level would be flyover and Metro Rail level respectively.
The four layer structure is need of the hour considering the every busy road and the traffic congestion there. The road has many academic institutions, commercial establishments, banks, government offices lined up on both sides of the road. It also serves as link between northern and southern locations of the city. Reserve Bank of India, Kasturchand Park, Sitabuldi Fort are some of the historic and prominent institutions on the road.
The Reach-II section of Nagpur Metro Rail Project, which includes the 4-lelvel transportation system, stretches from Sitabuldi Interchange to Automotive Square Metro Station and is 7.30 km long. It comprises seven stations viz., Zero Mile, Kasturchand Park, Gaddigodam Square, Kadvi Chowk, Indora Chowk, Nari Road and finally Automotive Square station.
The double decker structure on Reach-II section, stretches to 5.3 km (Automotive Square to Gaddigodam). The flyover at third level has four lanes for flyover traffic with each lane having width of 7.50 meters. Technically speaking, a steel composite truss girder of 1400 MT is to be launched over the Railway tracks by suitable launching method. The weight of steel composite truss girder (open web type) of 80m span is about 1400 MT.
The RoB structure consists of pile foundations, piers and portal beams and super structure is steel composite truss girder of 80 m span (open web type). The height of the RoB structure is about 25m from road level.
Some of the salient features of the project are as follows:
- The proposed fly-over and the metro track share `Right of Way’ – the 2 structures to be constructed on a single pillar, thus saving cost and also minimising the use of road space.
- The fly-over structure will start from LIC Square and culminate at Automotive Square – both located on the busy Kamptee Road.
- The four levels are – 1. Kamptee Road, 2. Nagpur-Bhopal Railway Line, 3. Fly-over and 4 Metro via-duct.
- The maximum height of Metro via-duct would be at Gurdwara at Gaddigodam, where the rail line passes over the road.
- Maximum height of fly-over across the stretch would be at Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 14.9 mts.
- Similarly, the maximum height of via-duct across the stretch would be at the same location – Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 24.8 mts.