Recently the Seven Star Hospital was created headlines as the hospital is accused of charging exorbitantly for treatment of COVID-19 patients.However, they have got a relief as the High Court on Thursday has brought interim stay on the fine of Rs.5 lakh imposed on the hospital by the civic administration. The point to be noted here is that the state government had fixed rates for treatment of corona patients.
The private hospital authorised to treat COVID patients are obligated to charge as per the government rates for 80% of the beds reserved for corona patients; while in for the remaining 20 % they can charge their own rates. As per information, NMC on August 14 had imposed fine of Rs.5 lakh on the hospital for violation of this norm. Besides this, the hospital was ordered to return the additional amount they had charged to the patient. The court had ordered the health and family welfare secretary and civic chief to furnish replies within two weeks.