Ministry of Tourism has engaged National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) in January, 2021 to conduct study on â€œIndia and the Coronavirus Pandemic: Economic Losses for Households Engaged in Tourism and Policies for Recoveryâ€.
The objective of this study are as follows:
- Quantify the sector-wise (or industry-wise) direct and indirect impact of tourism activities on overall economy, as a whole and especially on household income, which may be further disaggregated into different types of households like formal and informal.
- Quantify the sector-wise and overall loss in income of the economy and of the household sector and also the loss in jobs, due to the impact of Coronavirus pandemic on the tourism sector.
- Estimate the impact of gradual opening up of domestic tourism activities and of the sectors related to tourism.
- Estimate the likely impact of opening of international tourism, in the phased manner.
- Propose policy measures appropriate to provide relief to the tourism sector, in general, and households involved in tourism related activities, in particular.
The report is awaited from NCAER.
This information was given by Minister of State for Tourism & Culture Shri Prahlad Singh Patelin a written reply in Rajya Sabha today.