To strike work from January 4 to 6
The Maharashtra Rajya Veej Karmachari, Adhikari, Abhiyanta Sangharsh Samiti (Maharashtra State Electricity Workers, Officers, and Engineers Struggle Committee) is on warpath with the state government against the privatization policy of the government.
Thirty unions have joined hands to oppose this policy and will be striking work from January 4 to 6 for 72 hours. But before that, they will also be holding other protests to press their demands on the authorities.
The electricity employees are against the idea of the state government giving almost the entire power industry, both thermal and hydroelectricity in hands of the Adani Group.
This is despite the Mahavitaran or MSEDCL being a profitable company. It is the largest and most efficient company in Asia and has won many central government awards for its overall efficiency and management of the company.
Privatization will be the cross-subsidy that is provided to agricultural consumers to zero from the area covered by Adani. It will also increase the electricity price or tariff. It will be impossible to provide electricity to farmers, household consumers, and vulnerable groups at cheap rates.
Stages of agitation:-
1. December 12, 2022: to hold gate meetings in Maharashtra.
2. December 14, 2022: submitting representations to the Hon’ble Minister, MPs, MLAs, Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils, Panchayat Committees, Zilla Parishads, Gram Panchayat members, social organizations, consumer organizations, farmers’ organizations, and trade unions and holding gate meetings.
3. December 16, 2022: the holding of gate meetings in Maharashtra.
4. December 19, 2022: indefinite non-cooperation movement with the management of the three companies.
5. December 23, 2022: Morcha on the Nagpur Vidhan Sabha.
6. December 29: 2022: the holding of gate meetings in Maharashtra.
7. January 2, 2023: Morcha on the Thane Collectorate.
8. January 4, 2023: 72 hours strike.
9. January 16, 2023: the holding of gate meetings in Maharashtra.
10. Indefinite strike from January 18, 2023, from 00.00 hrs.