Nagpur city is very well known for its Saoji dishes after oranges. The culture of having these extremely spicy food items is very old and popular among Nagpurkar’s.
Saoji is not only famous in Nagpur city but in the entire Vidarbha. It was Halba Koshti, the weaver community of Madhya Pradesh, that made the ‘saoji’ their identity dish. The community migrated from their original environs to Nagpur in 1877 to work in the Empress Mills which Jamshedji Tata set up there. The Halba Koshti women’s excelled in cooking the ‘saoji.
Below is the list of the oldest yet most favourite Saoji places in Nagpur:
- Mohan Saoji- Jagnath Mandir Rd, Satranjipura Zone, Tandapeth,
- Jagish Saoji – 54, Subhash Rd, Ganeshpeth Colony,
- Prachand Saoji – Telephone Exchange Road
- Shankar Saoji – Gajanan Mandir Rd, Adarsh Colony, Bhamti, Sainath Nagar, Trimurtee Nagar,
- Sanju Saoji – Dhapewada, 45 Km away from Nagpur city