The theme of this year’s World Kidney Day is ‘Kidney Health. For Everyone. Everywhere. ‘
Kidneys filter our blood and work to remove toxins and waste from our body. With risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, urinary tract infections, obesity etc, the incidence of kidney disease is on the rise worldwide. As the adage goes, prevention is better than cure, here are some tips to keep your kidneys in top shape.
* Maintain a healthy fluid intake.
* Eat a healthy diet.
* Be careful about your salt intake.
* Stay fit and active.
* Keep your blood pressure in check.
* Keep your blood sugar in check.
* Stop smoking.
* Cut down on processed foods.
* Do not take over-the-counter pills on regular basis.
Remember, balanced diet and exercise are the key to keeping lifestyle diseases and their related complications at bay..