The term of office of 05 members of the Maharashtra Legislative Council from Graduates’ and Teachers’ Constituencies has expired on 19th July 2020.
The Commission, having considered the inputs received from CEO, Maharashtra has now decided that above mentioned biennial election to the Maharashtra State Legislative Council from Graduates’ and Teachers’ Constituencies, be held on December 1. The last date for making nominations is November 12 while the last date for withdrawal of candidature is November 17.
Considering the unforeseen situation of public health emergency due to COVID-19 and the guidelines & orders passed under the Disaster Management Act, 2005 by the competent authority, the Election Commission, on 16.07.2020 passed an Order under Article 324 of Constitution of India read with section 16 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, and directed that the process of election to the abovementioned seats be initiated at a later date after reviewing the prevailing situation.
The Model Code of Conduct concerning these elections will come into force with immediate effect in the concerned Constituencies.
Broad Guidelines to be followed during entire election processes for all persons:
- Every person shall wear a face mask during every election-related activity
- At the entry of hall/room/premises used for election purposes:
(a) Thermal Scanning of all persons shall be carried out:
(b) Sanitizer shall be made available at all locations
- Social distancing shall be maintained as per the extant COVID-19 guidelines of the State Govt. and Ministry of Home Affairs.
- As far as practicable, large halls should be identified and utilized to ensure social distancing norms.
- Adequate number of vehicles shall be mobilized for movement of polling personnel, security personnel to ensure compliance of COVID-19 guidelines.