According to news agency AFP, the woman was choked by Sri Lankan batsman Danushka Gunathilaka to the point where she needed a brain scan to rule out any injuries after being accused of sexual assault.
On Sunday, Danushka was taken into custody in Sydney on suspicion of sexual assault. He was a member of the Australian team for the T20 World Cup. However, an injury prevented him from participating in the major event.
A woman in Sydney claims that Danushka sexually assaulted her. The woman reportedly told the police that her encounter with a 31-year-old player turned into a nightmare in which she feared for her life, according to prosecution records made public on Wednesday.
According to a local media story on Wednesday, which cited court-sealed records, the lady accused Danushka of sexually abusing her on many occasions in Australia and said that at one point, she was choked so violently that she “feared for her life.”
According to Australian media sources citing police records, “the complainant tried to remove the accused’s hand by gripping his wrist, but the accused gripped tighter around her neck.”
“The complainant feared for her life but was unable to escape the accused.
She kept attempting to distance herself from the accused, which was an obvious sign that she was objecting. The case’s subsequent hearing is scheduled for January 12.
An incident of sexual assault was reported earlier this week at a Rose Bay residence.
“The man and the woman met after corresponding with each other for a few days over an online dating service; it is alleged that on the evening of November 2, 2022, he sexually assaulted her.
Yesterday, specialised police conducted a crime scene investigation at a location in Rose Bay as part of continuing investigations.
A 31-year-old male was detained at a hotel on Sussex Street in Sydney just before 1 am today (Sunday, November 6, 2022), according to additional inquiries, according to a New South Wales police statement that ESPNcricinfo cited.
“He was brought to Sydney City Police Station and accused with four offences of having sex without permission. The Sri Lankan individual was denied bail to appear via AVL at Parramatta Bail Court today “The statement continued.
He had to leave the T20 World Cup in the opening round due to a hamstring injury. Despite being dropped from the starting lineup, he remained in Australia with the group. He has participated for Sri Lanka in eight Tests, 47 ODIs, and 46 T20Is since making his debut in November 2015.
He scored a duck while playing against Namibia in the T20 World Cup’s opening match.
Sri Lanka was eliminated from the competition on Sunday after losing to England at the Sydney Cricket Ground in their last group encounter.