A fire broke out in the pantry car of Ahmedabad-Chennai Navjeevan Express near Gudur railway junction in Andhra Pradesh in the wee hours of Friday but no casualties were reported.
It appears that one of the heaters used for cooking was left on, which started the fire.
An observant pointsman raised an alarm at 2.45 am when he saw smoke coming from the pantry car as the train reached Gudur.
At Gudur Junction, the train was promptly stopped.
“Even when three windows were shattered to let the smoke out, the pantry’s automatic fire suppression system began to work. Along with cutting off the AC supply, the fire was extinguished.”
Nusrat M. Mandrupkar, a spokesperson for South Central Railway’s Vijayawada division, informed PTI.
The pantry car was separated and the train was held at Gudur for around 82 minutes before continuing on its route, she said.