September 25 is observed as World Lung Day. This day is an opportunity for us all to unite and advocate for better lung health globally. Organizations and individuals from around the world have joined the campaign, to shine a spotlight on the alarming statistics, and to hold their own lung health events. Too often we take breathing for granted. Today on World Lung Day, people affected by and working against respiratory disease, come together for lung health action.
Here are some shocking facts
- 384 million people suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and 3 million die from it each year, making it the third leading cause of death worldwide, Stop it.
- 334 million people suffer from asthma making it the most common chronic disease of childhood.
- It affects 14% of children globally and is on rise, Stop It.
- 10 million people develop tuberculosis and 1.6 million die from it each year, making it the most common lethal infectious disease, Stop It.
- 91% of the world’s population lives in places where air quality exceeds WHO guideline limits. Pneumonia kills millions of people each year making it a leading cause of death in the very young and very old, Stop It.
Dr Sumer Choudhary, Department of Pulmonary Medicine NKP SIMS & LMH remarked, “I have taken the World Lung Day pledge to improve Lung health globally. We need to ensure that everyone has access to the services they need to improve their lung health. Leave no one behind.
I pledge will help someone stop smoking
I pledge will walk more to reduce air pollution
I pledge will hold a Healthy Lungs for Life event”.
View the latest health news and discover articles on fitness, healthy living & healthcare advancements. Stay updated with Nagpur’s very own 24*7 online news portal, THE LIVE NAGPUR.