Maha Metro is executing a 3.14 km of 3-layer Transport System on National Highway on Wardha Road in Nagpur using a unique design and adding to the aesthetics of the city. The 3 layer transportation system will comprise of:-
- Existing Road at Ground Level
- Elevated National Highway at the first level and
- Metro Corridor at the Second level
The construction of the bridge will have numerous advantages. To name a few it will also provide connectivity with the ROB and provide convenience from the regular traffic across the railway level crossing.
However, the project looks very beautiful, gorgeous, and marvelous but constructing the project was not a piece of cake. There were many challenges and difficulties that they had to overcome, face, and tackle. Some of them that included were:-
- The demolition of the Chatrapati square bridge in such a way that it does not affect the nearby structures and it takes a minimal amount of time.
- For connecting the bridge Maha-Metro had to come up with an innovative solution of providing a ‘Connecting bridge’ on the pier-arm just below the metro viaduct and above the NHAI flyover.
- Since this bridge was to be constructed near the airport link road (which is one of the busiest) it had to be constructed in such a way that the traffic of the road should not get affected for this Maha-Metro has devised one of its kind ‘Launching Girder’ for the simultaneous erection of precast segmental girders of Metro viaduct as well as the NHAI double-decker flyover.
The construction is in its final stages and throughout the time they have made sure that the project remains economically feasible and no unnecessary expenditure is made. In fact, better economical designs, savings in land acquisitions, and reduced traffic congestion were the extra efforts made by the people behind this project.
When this project will be ready it will be first of its kind as it will be a 3 lane cost-effective structure which will have the road, the highway as well as the metro.
Anil Kokate and Naresh Gurbani informed how they and their team did the maximum work at the minimum time and tried to make the project as much economically feasible as it can be made for the benefit and easy comfort for Nagpurians while traveling.