The country’s light-weight first train made of aluminium-body was flagged off for Maha Metro’s Pune Project at an event held at Uttarpara, Kolkata by Secretary, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) Shri Manoj Joshi, here on Saturday (26th March).
Maha Metro MD Dr Brijesh Dixit, OSD, MoHUA Shri Jaydeep, Director (Rolling Stock) Shri Sunil Mathur and officials of Titagarh Wagons were prominently present on the occasion.
Manoj Joshi, Secretary, MoHUA and Chairman, Maha Metro: Speaking on the occasion Shri Manoj Joshi said that a new eco-system is being developed in the country because of metro projects in the country. Manufacture of such a train is a big step towards the Make In India concept, Joshi said and congratulated Maha Metro MD Dr Dixit for taking a bold decision to use aluminium-made train, he said. Ten years back, such a decision couldn’t even thought off, he said and also greeted Titagad Wagons for the risk it has taken in this field. He said that having made this train, its maintenance and ensuring quality is also a challenge.
Dr Brijesh Dixit, MD, Maha Metro: Manufacture of such a light-weight aluminium–body train in India for the first time and its use for Maha Metro project is a major step, Dr Brijesh Dixit said in his speech. Work on Nagpur Metro project was started in 2015 and then there was not a single company manufacturing metro train in the country. Much progress has been achieved in this direction since then, he said. Two lines of Pune project have been recently launched and passenger services on the remaining project will soon be started he added. The state government has given extensive co-operation in executing Metro projects in the state, he added.
Jaydeep, OSD, MoHUA: In his speech, Jaydeep spoke about use of aluminium coach was a major achievement for Mass Rapid Transit System projects in the country. This is a landmark decision, he said this is a step towards fulfilling the concept of Atma Nirbhar Bharat as envisaged by the government. The chairman, Titagarh Wagons J P Chaudhari and Managing Director Umesh Chaudhari addressed the gathering and spoke about the project of aluminium-body metro train.
Salient features of Aluminium-body train:
• The lightest Metro Coaches in India (6.5% lighter than the conventional stainless-steel coaches).
• The first-time aluminum car body metro cars getting manufactured in India
• The most energy efficient metro cars due to the lighter weight.
• Being aluminium Car Body have longer life and low maintenance.
• Total 34 Trains, each with three car compositions, (Total 102 coaches).
• 3 Car Composition, Total Passenger Capacity: 978 passengers for 3 car train [Driving Motor Car-315, Trailer Car-348], Seats=140 [Driving Motor Car-44, Trailer Car-52 (including 2 wheelchairs)
• 66% Powering with More than 30% energy regeneration- Regenerative braking from 70 kmph to 10 kmph.
• Panic Button for safety of passengers-4 no. in each car. The passenger can communicate to driver directly in case of any emergency.
• In-train CCTV Coverage: 98%.