Nagpu@2025 and the Nagpur Municipal Corporation have come up with a first-of-its-kind Design and Build Competition for the students of architecture and urban design colleges. The competition aims at boosting public health, contributing to the city’s culture and history, creating space for social interactions, enhancing security, improving the environment, promoting inclusion, and enable self-sustaining public spaces.
The eligibility and rules of the competitions are :
- The competition is open to all the students of architecture and urban design colleges in Nagpur. Students have to register with a valid bonafide certificate from their respective colleges.
- Each group can have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 students.
- Each group can choose an urban space of preference.
- A unique barcode will be assigned to each group after online registration.
- Submissions will only be accepted as a soft copies on the competition portal.
The site selection can be done by the students which are neglected or underutilized and is within Nagpur’s municipal limits and apply their design expertise to reimage its potential to transform it into a functional and valuable asset for the company. Students may choose any urban space, including but not limited to: Squares, Gardens, Markets, Public Toilets, and Spaces under flyovers.
The students should submit their plans on A4 size formatting. A report needs to be submitted which includes-
- A detailed approach to the proposed design and its implementation including material specifications and estimates.
- A realistic walk-through of the designed urban space so as to give a complete idea of the proposed interventions.
Sheet 1 – Assessment of the existing scenario plus vision statement
Sheet 2- Design concept and site plan
Sheet 3- Design development plan (Sections, Elevations, views, and specifications)
Sheet 4 – Views of the proposed development including impact assessment due to the reclamation of the urban space.
Evaluation criteria for the competition will be Creativity and Ingenuity, Social Impact and Inclusion Economic Feasibility, Sustainability and Regeneration, Site selection, and contextual sensitivity.
The timeline for the competition has been classified by Nagpur@2025 and Nagpur Municipal Corporation as The Registration starts on February 23, 2023, the concept note should be submitted on March 13, the shortlist announcement based on the concept note will take place on March 16, the deadline for the final submission is April 10, and the winner will be announced on April 15, 2023.
Nagpur Municipal Commissioner and Administrator, Radhakrishnan B in a press conference held on Tuesday briefed about the prize distribution of the competition. He said “15 winners will be chosen by an eminent jury consisting of experts from sociology, product design, civic engineering, NMC, Traffic Police, Landscaping, and Urban Design background. A cash prize of Rs 6 lakhs will be given to the winners.