An iron rod that accidentally got pierced through head of a 21-year-old youth from Bhuldhana was removed by the city doctor after one-and-a-half hours of surgery.
The patient, Sanjay Bahe, remained conscious and oriented all through the journey from Balaghat to Nagpur for treatment the same day, where doctors were able to remove the rod safely and save his life.
The accident occurred during the well construction work going in Sanjay’s house. He accidentally fell on an iron rod that pierced his head through brain and came out from left side of the head.
The operation was performed for a one-and-half-an hour and the rod was removed after craniotomy. The main challenge before the doctors was not to disturb the brains vital system.
Speaking on the critical case, Dr. Pramod Giri said, “Giving anesthesia to the patient in such cases is also difficult. We did right from positioning for intubation to proper vital maintenance intraoperatively”.
“I performed the surgeries will all caution so that damage to the surrounding structures shouldn’t happen. Fortunately, he is doing fine after the surgery. We are also taking care to prevent meningitis,” Dr. Giri added.