Planet Earth is the only planet that is liveable and weâ€™re still decades away from finding traces of life on any other planet in the Solar System. Not that we donâ€™t know about it, itâ€™s just that we all tend to take our planet Earth for granted in some way or the other. How many of us responsibly dispose the waste, be it wrappers, or plastic bottles, tins, cans, papers? There are many of us who are still reckless when it comes to disposing the waste. We tend to litter without even realizing how damaging it can be for our environment. We do it not because we donâ€™t know any better, we do it because we know but we donâ€™t really care. If we are mindful of the ways to dispose the waste, we would be responsible and monitor not only ourselves but people around us too.
April 22nd is celebrated as World Earth Day and it is just a reminder that we have only one planet to live and we should honor it.
- How can I make a difference on this day? How can I celebrate Earth Day?
No matter how busy you are, thereâ€™s a way to get involved in honoring this day. And we all can do it by making small changes in our lifestyle (every day). Earth Day is more than just a single day, it should be observed every day. It is more than just taking part in campaigns or rallies. Hereâ€™s what you can do to celebrate Earth Day.
- Plant A Tree- Trees are extremely crucial and a big part of our Earth and planting a sapling is just like contributing to another bountiful life. It adds to the wellness of the world we live in.
- Say No To Plastic Bottles– Stop drinking from plastic water bottles. There are plenty of alternatives out there. Buy a metal bottle instead. Imagine how much plastic you can save, that would otherwise be dumped into the landfills.
- Use Less Paper And Switch To E-Bills– Making a small change like not asking for a paper receipt on the billing counter and preferring an online invoice can save millions of trees every single year.
- Educate– Do it to save the planet. If you know more about how and what you can do protect the environment, then use that knowledge to educate the less informed around you. Sharing it with people around you will make a lot of difference in the long run.
- Remember the 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle– This is also called as the Waste Hierarchy. It is not too late to start recycling if you havenâ€™t already. It is not hard to implement at all. Just by bringing in small changes in your daily lifestyle, you can do it. Reduce waste so that less goes into the landfills. Use less paper, donâ€™t waste. If you can reuse the same paper, go ahead and do it. Write on both the sides or print on both the sides of the paper to reduce the usage. Use electronic mail Even little things like using a cloth napkin instead of a paper napkin will make a huge difference. Reuse old newspaper for various craft work or for wrapping and packing instead of just throwing it off. Donate old books and clothes. Buy products made from recycled material. Buy glass jars instead of plastic cans and jars.
And finally donâ€™t just leave it to the Earth Day. Take this effort every day and before you know, it will become your lifestyle. Every small contribution will make a huge difference to this global campaign.