Following poor response to online admission under Right To Education (RTE) Act, the education department has increased the deadline to confirm admission till May 4. Nearly 50 percent of total seats allotted under RTE in the first phase were vacant on April 25, the last day to confirm admission to allotted schools.
This forced the education department to extend the deadline. Of the 5701 beneficiary students 2854 have taken admission so far. The decision was taken after a meeting held in Pune on Thursday.
Even the officials were clueless on why parents are not confirming admission of their wards. However, they said that there might be two reasons why parents are hesitating in confirming admission- first they did not get desired school and secondly they are not having documents required for admission.
Interestingly, percentage of admission is better is some rural areas.
Sources said due to show pace of admission the education department had decided to extended the deadline by a week much earlier. However, the final decision on extending the deadline was taken after going through the stats provided by the district education