With the country reeling under the second wave of coronavirus, several medical experts have recommended wearing two masks to prevent the infection.
The government on Sunday released dos and don’ts for double masking.
- Double mask should consist of a surgical mask and a double or triple layered cloth mask.
- The mask should be pressed tightly on the nose bridge.
- It should be ensured that breathing is not blocked.
- Wash cloth mask regularly.
- Do not pair two masks of same kind.
- Do not wear same mask for two consecutive days.
According to a study, wearing two tightly-fitted face masks can nearly double the effectiveness of filtering out SARS-CoV-2-sized particles, preventing them from reaching the wearer’s nose and mouth and causing COVID-19.
The research, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, shows that the reason for the enhanced filtration is not so much adding layers of cloth, but eliminating any gaps or poor-fitting areas of a mask.
India is battling the second wave of coronavirus infections with many states grappling with an acute shortage of medical oxygen, beds, and crucial medicines. The country’s COVID-19 tally crossed the grim milestone of 2 crore on May 4.