Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MOEF&CC), Government of India has released funds for Pench Tiger Reserve (PTR) and Navegaon and Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) to save the big cats in the region. As per the information, Centre and State governments allocated a total fund of Rs 10.70 crore for both Tiger Reserves. Under the new system, the Centre will provide only 60 per cent of the total non-recurring expenditure and remaining 40 per cent by the State. States and the Centre will continue to share equally the expenditure for recurring items.
The previous fund sharing mechanism was in existence since 1973 when Project Tiger was conceived to protect the animals across India. For the financial year 2020-21, NNTR will receive a total of Rs 7.56 crore from Centre and State governments while Pench Tiger Reserve will get Rs 3.14 crore. For NNTR, the Centre will allocate Rs 4.53 crore and remaining Rs 3.02 crore will come from Maharashtra Government. Similarly, for PTR, Centre will provide Rs 82.04 lakh for non-recurring expenditure and Rs 89.06 lakh for recurring expenditure. While, State Government will pay Rs 54.69 lakh for non-recurring expenses and Rs 89.06 lakh for recurring expenses to PTR. As per the directions from the Central Government, the management of the Tiger Reserves will utilise the fund for the tiger conservation and other activities that helps to promote tiger conservation in the reserve. The allocated fund will help for anti-poaching measures, village relocation, formation of special tiger force, building of new infrastructure and use of innovative technologies for tiger conservation in the State.