NHAI clears construction of flyover at Kamptee Road
In a major development that will change city’s contours, Maha Metro Nagpur’s proposal for fly-over and Metro route at Kamptee Road has been cleared by National Highway Authority of India (NHAI). NHAI has given unconditional clearance to ₹ 573 crore proposal. NHAI nod has thus paved way for construction of country’s first 4 layer transport system in Nagpur.
The proposed four-layer structure, will come up on Kamptee Road of Nagpur. The structure is part of Reach-II segment of Nagpur Metro Rail Project which stretches from Sitabuldi Interchange Metro Station to Automotive Square Metro Station. The total length of the via-duct in Reach-II stretches to 7.23 km. The total length of fly-over to be constructed is 5.3 km.
Some of the salient features of the project are as follows:
- The proposed flyover and the metro track share `Right of Way’ – the 2 structures to be constructed on a single pillar, thus saving cost and also minimising the use of road space.
- The fly-over structure will start from LIC Square and culminate at Automotive Square – both located on the busy Kamptee Road.
- The four levels are – 1. Kamptee Road, 2. Nagpur-Bhopal Railway Line, 3. Fly-over and 4. Metro via-duct.
- The maximum height of Metro via-duct would be at Gurdwara at Gaddigodam, where the rail line passes over the road.
- Maximum height of fly-over across the stretch would be at Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 14.9 mts.
- Similarly, the maximum height of via-duct across the stretch would be at the same location – Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 24.8 mts.
- The proposed flyover would be a 4-lane structure. The total cost of the fly-over has been pegged at ₹ 573 crore.
This structure is necessitated considering the traffic flow on Kamptee Road. It is one of the busiest roads of city with multiple traffic junctions. Hundreds and thousands of two, three and four-wheeler vehicles pass through the road, which connects two major cities of Varanasi and Hyderabad. A good number of educational institutions, commercial places, cinema halls, malls are lined up on the road.
Once completed, this would serve as a milestone for the Orange City and another feather to its cap. It will also be an iconic transportation structure for others to emulate. It will also help to decongest the traffic on the busy Kamptee Road.
Get all the latest and current news Nagpur here. For an exclusive & live updates from the Nagpur, stay connected with THE LIVE NAGPUR.